Search

Content

Dec 9, 2013

When the Sun Fails to Rise

At the close of last week I dressed early in the morning in order to attend the funeral of a friend who took his own life. The event causes me to come to the keyboard confused this week, feeling as if I have been turned inside out, my soul and my body somehow switching places. I dare not say I am feeling “sad” or “depressed” or even “melancholy” for that matter. Suicide has a way of giving a truer value to those words much in the same way Westerners are apprehensive to call themselves persecuted after hearing about the martyrs. I will, however, admit that I do feel quite vulnerable and fragile, like a sailor who has emerged from his cabin after a storm to find that the mast has been ripped from the deck. Disoriented. Not because I don’t know the right answers, but simply because I know that now is not the time for them to be given.

Stephen Hightower was a pastor, a husband, a friend and a fellow brother in the faith that we both share. And despite the fact that the news of his suicide was given to me a week ago, the words still seem to hang in the air like a thick fog that has no intention of lifting.

I have been confronted with suicide before. I have even written about it previously through this blog. I studied it during my years in seminary, read books and articles dedicated to it throughout my time as a pastor and I have counseled numerous people who had either attempted it in the past, or would attempt it in the future. Academically, I can interact with it. Theologically, I can wrestle with it. Emotionally, suicide leaves me feeling stripped and crushed, the weight of its darkness almost too much to bear.

This is especially true in the case of a man like Stephen who shared with me just two months prior to his death that his desire was to establish a church “for the people no other church wanted.” People that were misunderstood, people wrestling with doubts and hard questions, people on the margins…people just like Stephen.

Stephen Hightower was usually seen wearing a clerical collar and a large iconic cross around his neck with a head-full of beautiful dreadlocks and jean-clad legs draped over a motorcycle.  All of which made him incredibly whimsical and disarming. It also makes his death all the more difficult for me, and many others, to deal with. In the face of such tragedy (and all tragedy for that matter) we are often tempted to grab onto a solution to the problem. We look for answers, and even absurd ones will often do. We desperately want to know the why. Our anxiety is fueled by an overwhelming sense of our smallness, our mortality and our ultimate powerless, the fact that in the face of catastrophic events we are confronted once again with the glaring reality that, indeed, we are not in control.

In the wake of suicide we are often tempted to look for solace by questioning the victims faith and their spiritual maturity. We talk about a lack of hope or a diminished view of God’s promises. Sometimes we blame the pride that kept them from asking for help. In the case of Stephen Hightower the truth of the matter remains that Stephen knew the gospel. Not in mere cerebral terms, but in life altering ways. Ways that changed his own life and called him into ministry where the central focus of his life would become the simple act of bringing that message of hope to others in desperate need.

So what remains for me is to let go of my need for resolve and admit that the darkness that some people experience is, at times, profoundly unbearable. The sun fails to rise. And day after day, even if it does shine, the sunrise fails to lift the night.

In the days after his death I quickly found myself reading the Psalms. They are often a place of refuge for me during such times. They are honest, and raw and have a sort of human integrity that only poetry can convey. The words are often able to express what my heart longs to say. Psalm 6 finds David crying out to the Lord,  

“I am weary with my moaning; every night I flood my bed with tears; I drench my couch with my weeping. My eye wastes away because of grief.”

While the church has made great strides in recent years dealing with mental illness, much is still left to do in order to help lift the stigmatism of depression. And while the need is great for honesty in the pew, it is all the more essential in the pulpit. If the masses who cross the thresholds of churches each week feel the constant temptation to mask their pain, how much more are their leaders asked hide? We live in a world, and even a Christian subculture, that prizes the strong, the successful, the beautiful and the powerful. Leaders are seldom if ever invited to lead from their weakness. It is the anti-gospel, and it causes thousands of pastors, young and old, to walk away from their calling - sometimes with violent permanence.

In God’s sovereign grace I was scheduled to teach on the subject of “God and the Problem of Evil” less than 24 hours after I heard the news about Stephen. Tempted to cancel the class, I instead took the opportunity to glance through my notes to see if there might be some way to salvage a talk that offered some semblance of coherence despite my clouded thoughts. Thankfully, years ago I had come across the writing of Os Guinness whose book Unspeakable Evil had thoroughly transformed the way I approach human suffering. I end with the quote I shared with my class that day. I am holding onto it for dear life.


“No one can ever go so low that God in Jesus has not gone lower. The horrendous evil that looks as if it is the final obliteration of goodness and humanness becomes God’s deepest identification with his creatures. There is hope for victims; there is even forgiveness for perpetrators. For those who know the cross, the pages of history are stained indelibly in blood with the evidence of the goodness of God.”

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Archives

Twitter

About Me

My Photo
I am a father and I am a son. I am adopted and rescued...a friend of Jesus. I am Carrie's husband and dad to Luke, Andrew and Zachary. I am the Director of Spiritual Formation at Toccoa Falls College and an ordained pastor in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC). I am a teacher who loves to engage the world with words and I am a Christian who aims to be the Good News in speech in deed. I am an artist attempting to create good art that glorifies the Creator and encourages his creation to seek him.