Search

Content

Feb 28, 2014

Spiritual Intimacy, Part II

My recent post on the subject of spiritual intimacy was the most widely read article I have written on Thursday Circle. You can read Part I here. It generated some incredibly healthy and important discussions online, in my office, in the classroom, and in the living rooms of many of you who read the piece. And it raised some weighty questions. So here is part two of the discussion. Let the conversation continue.

Of all the questions I received throughout the past week, most boiled down to some version of “how far is too far?” Along these lines people were asking whether or not any and every form of communal prayer is a breech of spiritual intimacy. Others wondered how we walk the tightrope of appropriately guarding our hearts without extinguishing authenticity, transparency and the kind of intimacy necessary for a healthy community.

The analogy I most frequently gave, albeit crass, relates to way we think about our physical boundaries in the forms of handshakes, side-hugs, long embraces, and make-out sessions.

When someone stops me in the foyer of the church while we are grabbing coffee and shares with me that they just found out that they lost their job, I offer to pray for them. Handshake

When someone shares his or her story with me in my office and we close our counseling session with prayer. Side-Hug

When someone from my inner circle of relationships (more on this in a minute) shares something that requires confidentiality and I commit to praying for the next few days, or months. Long embrace

My spiritual life becomes intertwined with the spiritual life of another. When I move from my personal spiritual life, to our spiritual life. When you are no longer able to distinguish your own journey from the journey you are on “together” with someone else, you have entered into a spiritual Make-out session.  

Again, I readily admit that there may be better analogies out there, but these physical ones seem to be so clear that they make good starting points when speaking about other types of boundaries. Rarely do we find that we just “somehow” moved from shaking hands to kissing. The boundaries are incredibly clear for most of us.

As I mentioned earlier, another aspect of spiritual intimacy relates to how we conceive of community. In this regard many readers have wondered how we might achieve God’s intention for authentic “life together” (to borrow Bonhoeffer’s term) while simultaneously placing boundaries around our spiritual lives? One answer is to reorient the very way we think about community. All too often our Christian response to developing community is “the more intimacy, the better.” Not only is this incredibly unrealistic, it isn’t even remotely healthy.

In the book Search to Belong Joseph R. Myers outlines four types, or spaces, of community: Public, Social, Personal, and Intimate. The general thesis of Myer’s work is that these spaces are not only real ways that we experience community, but that we desperately need to ensure that we experience each regularly.

With genuinely good intentions we (especially those within the church) strive to move every relationship we have into the intimate sphere. We wear name-tags, we gather in small groups, and we are encouraged to build our lives around activities intended to move all of our relationships from public to intimate ones. One of the ways we frequently do this involves increased levels of spiritual intimacy. With Myers categories in view let me give some practical boundaries for healthy spiritual intimacy.

Public: The kind of spiritual intimacy you experience in corporate worship. This community is comprised of strangers and acquaintances, friends and family members. Your spiritual connections are broad.

Social: This group is generally smaller. It is co-workers, or fellow members of the same athletic team, clubs or classes. Here you know some people better than others and prayer centers on general requests for health, the stress of assignments, or for a wrecked car in the shop.

Personal: This group is your “inner circle.” It is Jesus pulling aside James, Peter and John. It is your accountability group, your closest friends, or your immediate family. They know your struggles, you are free to be yourself and be open and honest about your fears, your doubts and your disappointments.

Intimate: As you might imagine, this is the relationship you have with only one person. It is the relationship in which you stand completely naked and vulnerable before one another. Nothing is hidden. It is only coupled with the physical counterpart of consummation. One flesh.

Again, Myers argues that these categories are not only just present realities, but necessary and essential aspects of living as healthy beings, ensuring that we are experiencing each of these spaces of connection with others. And before the question is asked, “If I am not married yet, how do I experience intimate spiritual connections?” My response, you may have guessed, is no different than if someone were asking me about physical intimacy before marriage; celibacy until covenant.

I hope this helps a bit. Talk among yourselves.

To continue the conversation follow Steve Woodworth on TWITTER


Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Archives

Twitter

About Me

My Photo
I am a father and I am a son. I am adopted and rescued...a friend of Jesus. I am Carrie's husband and dad to Luke, Andrew and Zachary. I am the Director of Spiritual Formation at Toccoa Falls College and an ordained pastor in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC). I am a teacher who loves to engage the world with words and I am a Christian who aims to be the Good News in speech in deed. I am an artist attempting to create good art that glorifies the Creator and encourages his creation to seek him.