Search

Content

Aug 22, 2013

God Is Not Deaf



“The Lord said, “I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering… the cry of the Israelites has reached me, and I have seen the way the Egyptians are oppressing them…I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt.” Exodus 3:7-9

Atlanta, GA started their school year this week with the terrifying arrival of a heavily armed gunman intent on ensuring yet another long series of sleepless nights for parents across the state. 

The voice of victims of the massacre in Afghanistan at the hands of Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales revealed the dark details of the night when he massacred 16 civilians in two different villages. One victim, Haji Mohammed Wazir, took the stand to lament the loss of 11 relatives including his wife, his mother, two brothers, a nephew, and six of his seven children.

The Egyptian military attacked Muslims. Muslims attacked Christians.   

We were given a view of those living inside the confines of North Korea as prisoners in camps full of starvation, sleep deprivation, rape and abuse.

Chemical weapons in Damascus left hundreds of civilizations dead in the streets while refugees are huddled in tents by the thousands, packed full of people driven from their homes by a war they never asked for.

And we can add to these stories the less global tales that have exploded into the lives of individuals who have lost a job, a family member, experienced a divorce with a bitter custody battle, or heard the news “it is cancer” this week and the sheer volume of human suffering can become absolutely paralyzing.

This month I have been working my way through the book of Exodus. There is a reason it is has gained such a central place in our theology as “people of the book.” Exodus is the tale of freedom from bondage, rescue for exiles living in a foreign land, redemption for slaves, and new life for the oppressed. It is the ultimate foreshadowing of a new Moses who will come and offer an eternal Exodus for an enslaved world.

And amidst this week of particular brutality it struck me in profound ways that the book of Exodus portrays God in exceptionally human ways. He is a God who hears, a God who sees. He is not ignorant, aloof, or apathetic to the cries of his people.
  
God says “I have seen the misery of my people…I am concerned about their suffering.”
And twice he declares” “I have heard them crying…and now the cry of the Israelites has reached me.”

To the cynic and the bitter these portions of Holy writ seem to support their long-held bias that God may hear and see, but he is clearly powerless to act.

But there is simply too much evidence to the contrary.

I saw a retired doctor and his wife on a stage this summer being commissioned as missionaries to Afghanistan where they will commit to living out the final years of their lives serving as one of a handful of doctors dedicated to birthing children in a country with one of the highest infant mortality rates in the world.

During this same conference we recognized the work of a ministry called Christian Friends of North Korea who declare that their calling is to reach into the darkness of that country and “respond in the only name that matters, Jesus Christ.”

A bookkeeper named Antoinette Tuff was the only one left standing between the students at the school in Atlanta this week and the shooter armed with 500 rounds of ammunition. She convinced him to surrender before anyone was hurt.

Ministries like World Relief and Friends of Refugees are working exhaustibly long hours each day to ensure that those who are exiled from their homes can begin life again on foreign soil.

Admittedly, few of these stories make the nightly news, which is often bent on focusing attention on what is wrong rather than what is right. Because of this we all need to heed the grave warning that much of the rest of the book of Exodus reveals, the danger of forgetting. A wise mentor once exhorted me “never doubt in the darkness what God has revealed in the light.”

How might the story of Israel played-out if they simply continued to hold fast to their first reaction when Moses appeared? How might our stories?

“And when they heard that the Lord was concerned about them and had seen their misery, they bowed down and worshiped” (Exodus 4:31).   



Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Archives

Twitter

About Me

My Photo
I am a father and I am a son. I am adopted and rescued...a friend of Jesus. I am Carrie's husband and dad to Luke, Andrew and Zachary. I am the Director of Spiritual Formation at Toccoa Falls College and an ordained pastor in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC). I am a teacher who loves to engage the world with words and I am a Christian who aims to be the Good News in speech in deed. I am an artist attempting to create good art that glorifies the Creator and encourages his creation to seek him.