Search

Content

Sep 26, 2014

Lessons from Chris M. Blow

Charles M. Blow shared a bold piece of literature this week in a New York Times op-ed. The article drew from Blow’s new memoir Fire Shut Up in My Bones in which he processes the weighty issues of his past and present including sexual abuse, the bonds of family, stereotypes, and human sexuality. Regular readers of this blog should know that many of my own values and convictions take a departure from those held by Mr. Blow, and yet, there is a substantial amount of truth to be gleaned from his writing.

In particular, Blow provides a powerful model and illustration for what it means to truly forgive. So often our definitions of forgiveness fall short of the biblical meaning of the term. We tell people that the act of forgiveness is more for the victim then the perpetrator, or that forgiveness must include the associated act of forgetting. Both of which are inadequate, and incomplete. 

In his book Reason for God Tim Keller offers a much fuller picture of forgiveness that centers on the reality that for every violation enacted, a debt is incurred that must be paid. We recognize this instinctively which is why we speak of “getting even” or “paying someone back” when we have been wronged. Keller proposes another path that neither ignores the offence nor dismisses the debt - absorb the debt yourself.    

“There is another option” Keller writes, “You can forgive. Forgiveness means refusing to make them pay for what they did. However, to refrain from lashing out at someone when you want to do so with all your being is agony. It is a form of suffering. You not only suffer the original loss of happiness, reputation, and opportunity, but now you forgo the consolation of inflicting the same on them. You are absorbing the debt, taking the cost of it completely on yourself instead of taking it out of the other person. It hurts terribly. Many people would say it feels like a kind of death. Yes, but it is a death that leads to resurrection instead of the lifelong living death of bitterness and cynicism.”

This is the forgiveness Blow introduces and illustrates for us in his memoir. Having been sexually abused by an older cousin, Blow is tempted later in life to murder him. With a gun in his car, racing towards his mother's house to confront his offender, Blow has a life-altering epiphany. He writes,

“Then I thought about who I was now, and who I could be. Seeing him in a pool of his own blood might finally liberate me from my past, but it would also destroy my future. I had to make a choice: drive forward on the broad road toward the unspeakable or take the narrow highway exit. I don’t know which chose, my head or my hand, but I exited and drove through my college campus, thinking about all that I had accomplished. Me. With my own mind and grit. I had reinvented and improved myself. I was a man — a man with a future. I couldn’t continue to live my life through the eyes of a 7-year-old boy.”
This is far deeper than mere “forgive and forget” theology; this is debt absorption, this is forgiveness. Blow does not minimize his pain, nor does he ignore the fact that injustice has occurred. His way forward is not through some Pollyanna vision of the past but a heroic willingness to the pay the penalty himself. The offender is off the hook, but only because the victim is willing to die in their place.
The rest of Blow’s story spells out the implications of his actions including his ongoing struggle with male attraction and his stigmatized existence as a black bi-sexual.[1] Through his act of forgiveness, Blow absorbed a debt that in many ways, he will never fully pay off.

This is the kind of forgiveness Jesus speaks of when he teaches us to pray, Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors” or more bluntly just two verse later, For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins” (Matt. 6:12, 14-16)

When we teach that forgiveness is a gift given to us freely we skew the deeper truth that forgiveness always comes at a tremendous cost. When we forgive “as we have been forgiven” victims are crucified for the sins of the criminals, the innocent bear the wrath intended for the guilty, and the abused steer their cars off of the highway and take the bullet their abuser deserves.

When we dare to engage in this kind of Kingdom-defined forgiveness, we will find that in the great paradox-ridden economy of God, this kind of death leads to life, new life, a resurrected life. Life that is able to finally move on from the nightmares of a seven-year-old boy into the glorious potential for a new chapter, written by the Father who endured the full weight of the penalty of all of our sin, all of my sin, all of Charles Blow’s sin, so that we too might have the painful joy of taking up our own crosses, and following him.   











[1] Studies have shown that boys who are sexually abused are four to seven times more likely to develop same sex attraction. Bolton,  F. G., Morris, L. A., and MacEachron, A. E. Males at Risk: The Other Side of Child Sexual Abuse, Sage Publications, Newbury Park, CA, 1989, p. 86 and “Victimization of Boys,” Journal of Adolescent Health Care, vol. 6, pp. 372–376.

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Archives

Twitter

About Me

My Photo
I am a father and I am a son. I am adopted and rescued...a friend of Jesus. I am Carrie's husband and dad to Luke, Andrew and Zachary. I am the Director of Spiritual Formation at Toccoa Falls College and an ordained pastor in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC). I am a teacher who loves to engage the world with words and I am a Christian who aims to be the Good News in speech in deed. I am an artist attempting to create good art that glorifies the Creator and encourages his creation to seek him.