Search

Content

Nov 1, 2012

Romney, Obama, and Bonhoeffer

As the national election day in the United States draws increasingly close, I have been pondering with more frequency some words spoken by pastor-theologian-activist Dietrich Bonhoeffer. National elections almost always make me think about Bonhoeffer, whose WWII Germany has become the historical symbol of everything that can go terribly awry when patriotism gets in bed with religion. With Evangelicals classified as a substantial voting demographic, one must take a bit of pause and consider what role Christians should play in politics. Many people have written about this very topic throughout church history, and almost all of them are far more eloquent and qualified than I am. I am not attempting to write something entirely new here, but I would like to stand as a small voice amidst all the noisy politico clamor of the season and repeat some important thoughts that Bonhoeffer penned from his prison cell while he awaited his execution. He wrote: “Our church has been fighting during these years only for its self-preservation, as if that were an end in itself. It has become incapable of bringing the word of reconciliation and redemption to humankind and to the world. So the words we used before must lose their power, be silenced, and we can be Christians today in only two ways, through prayer and in doing justice among human beings. All Christian thinking, talking, and organizing must be born anew, out of that prayer and action.” Regardless of who wins the election, the mission of the Church, the purpose of the redeemed doesn’t change. The goal of the Church was never to fight for religious freedom, create a moral society, define marriage, extend healthcare, or reduce taxes. The Church, Jesus’ bride, was rescued for one purpose – to join the Kingdom of God. To bend a knee to the true King and swear our allegiance to his reign and rule, and to spread the message of his love to the darkest corners of the world. I am not suggesting that it is unimportant to vote, but I do believe that the results of the election can never be an excuse for Christians to live faithfully in this fallen world. Jesus promises that the gates of hell can’t stop the Kingdom, never mind Republicans or Democrats. Our call as Christians isn’t swayed by unemployment rates, mortgage rates, social security, or national security. I agree with Bonhoeffer that perhaps the most important thing for the Church to do these days is pray and work for justice. Kingdoms will rise and fall. Only one will be standing into eternity. I want the Church to spend their time and energy building that one, not our own.

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Archives

Twitter

About Me

My Photo
I am a father and I am a son. I am adopted and rescued...a friend of Jesus. I am Carrie's husband and dad to Luke, Andrew and Zachary. I am the Director of Spiritual Formation at Toccoa Falls College and an ordained pastor in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC). I am a teacher who loves to engage the world with words and I am a Christian who aims to be the Good News in speech in deed. I am an artist attempting to create good art that glorifies the Creator and encourages his creation to seek him.